Dr. Alec Tefertiller
- Writing and Editing for On-Line Media
- Research Methods in Mass Communication
- Ph.D. in Media Studies, University of Oregon (2017)
- Master of Arts in Communication - Mass Communication Studies, University of Houston (2014)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Motion Picture, Television, and Recording Arts, Florida State University (2000)
Year Started at Baylor
- Web design and marketing professional specializing in web-based marketing strategy, graphic design, web design, copywriting, SEO, and web advertising
- Media production professional focused on web commercials, promotional videos, and corporate video productions
- Director of Technology for web-based school fundraising start-up
- Media and Resource Coordinator for nationwide college ministry
- Chair of Midwinter Committee for AEJMC's Mass Communication & Society Division (2019-2020)
- Top Paper Awards: SWECJMC Symposium (Top Six, 2019); AEJMC Media Management, Economics, and Entrepreneurship Division (First Place, 2019); BEA Interactive Media & Emerging Technologies Division (First Place - Debut, 2018); AEJMC Graduate Student Interest Group (Guido Stempel Award, 2016); AEJMC Public Relations Division (First Place - Teaching, 2016); AEJMC Mass Communication & Society Division (Second Place - Faculty, 2016)
- Top Abstract Awards: AEJMC Midwinter - Communication Technology Division (2019); AEJMC Midwinter – Media Management, Economics & Entrepreneurship Division (2019)
- Peer Review of Teaching Fellow, Kansas State University (2018)
- Kappa Tau Alpha Top Scholar Award, University of Oregon (2017)
- New media technology, streaming media, social media, media audiences, digital advertising, entertainment media
- Tefertiller, A.C. & Sheehan, K.B. (2020). Innovativeness, interactivity, and the adoption of streaming television. Southwestern Mass Communication Journal, 35(2), 17-27.
- Tefertiller, A.C., Maxwell, L.C., & Morris, D.L. (2020). Social media goes to the movies: Fear of missing out, social capital, and social motivations of cinema attendance. Mass Communication & Society, 23(3), 378-399.
- Tefertiller, A. & Sheehan, K. (2019). TV in the streaming age: Motivations, behaviors, and satisfaction of post-network television. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 63(4), 595-616.
- Maxwell, L.C. & Tefertiller, A.C. (2019). Watching is the new reading: Comparing the outcomes of popular books, TV shows, and video games. First Monday, 24(8).
- Tefertiller, A.C. (2018). Like us on Facebook: Social capital, opinion leadership, and social media word-of-mouth for promoting cultural goods. Journal of Social Media in Society, 7(2), 274-296.
- Tefertiller, A.C. & Maxwell, L.C. (2018). Depression, emotional states, and the experience of binge-watching narrative television. Atlantic Journal of Communication, 26(5), 278-290.
- Tefertiller, A. (2018). Media substitution in cable cord-cutting: The adoption of webstreaming television. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 62(3), 390-407.
- Curtin, P., Russial, J., & Tefertiller, A.C. (2018). Reviewers’ perception of the peer review process in journalism and mass communication. Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 95(1), 278-299.
Interests & Hobbies
- Spending time with my wife, Bethany, and daughter, McKenzie
- Playing board games
- Photography and Filmmaking
Favorite Thing about Teaching
“There’s nothing better than helping students realize they are capable of producing creative, engaging, and inspiring work.”